The capital city and the main airport hub of India is New Delhi. The city holds all three arms of the government, the legislative, judiciary, and executive government, thus, the city is also the seat of government located in the National Capital Region of India.
Founded in 1911 by George V, who used to be the country’s emperor in the time of the Delhi Durbar in the year 1911, was named as India’s capital in 1931 inaugurated by Viceroy Lord Irwin. Most of the city’s architectural designs are credited by two great men, Sir Herbert Baker and Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Here are some amazing and cool facts about New Delhi
Geographic view of Delhi
The city’s population is by any means lower than any other cities in India. Home to nearly 300,000 and the whole Delhi combined at around 14 million in numbers of people. The main religion of the people of New Delhi is Hindu totaling to 88.8% of the total population; Muslims, Christians, and Sikhs make up to remaining 11.2%.
Transportation View of New Delhi
The public transport system of the city uses compressed natural gas in order to run, an environment-friendly substance that has named New Delhi as one of the greenest cities in the entire world. According to some research, about a fifth of its total land mass is enclosed in a natural jungle. This is a definite feat for a country where 20% of the whole world’s populace calls it home, such an accomplishment indeed.
Historical Gates of the city
Of the original 14 gates of New Delhi’s walled city, 5 of which are stabilized and remains to be standing erectly, the gates include Tukman Gate that was named after Hazrat Shah Turkam, a pious saint; Ajmeri Gate that is facing Ajmer in the state of Rajasthan; the Lahori Gate that faces Lahore the capital city of Pakistan; Delhi Gate, the main road to Delhi’s old cities; and Kashmiri Gate that points to the North towards Kashmir. Beside if you want to know more about places to hangout in delhi for couples then check this blog post by Piyush Sharma.
Spice Market of Delhi
The Khari Baoli market of New Delhi is being called Asia’s biggest and largest wholesale market of spices. If you are a sucker for food that have a lot of spices on it, then this public market is a must visit.
If you are planning a trip to India, then New Delhi must be included in your places to visit. There’s a lot to know about the history and the rich culture and diversity of the city that is somewhat different from other cities in the country. One day is not enough to learn new things in New Delhi, that’s for sure!.Plus check out tripadvisor delhi page for more details.